Welcome to the DruidBSD project homepage
Druid(R) is a build platform that aims to produce truly universal boot images (*.iso files) that can be downloaded once and then mastered onto any type of media, including (but not limited to) CD/DVD optical media, USB flash media, and even hard disks.
DruidBSD(tm) is a FreeBSD micro-distribution which exists as a 1.9MB floppy image (GZIP-compressed mfsroot). When paired with the Druid(R) platform, you get a universal LiveCD and/or Installer environment.
updated to support FreeBSD 10.0+ pkg(8) (aka pkgng).
Previously only supporting the legacy pkg_tools
(pkg_*) on FreeBSD-9.0 and older, pkgbase has been
updated to support the new MANIFEST-based
[pkgng] packages. Head on over to
to get the latest copy of pkgbase.
Previously only supporting the legacy pkg_tools (pkg_*) on FreeBSD-9.0 and older, pkgbase has been updated to support the new MANIFEST-based [pkgng] packages.
Head on over to Downloads to get the latest copy of pkgbase.
Meet pkgbase ("Package Base") — A Multi-Platform Packaging System
pkgbase is a multi-platform packaging system for integrating package version control into any CVS/Perforce server.
Currently supported packaging systems include:
- FreeBSD Packages (*.tgz, *.tbz, or *.txz)
- RedHat Packages (*.rpm)
- Author FreeBSD packages on RedHat Linux
- Author RPMs on FreeBSD
- Easily unpack any package from any source
- Easily make changes to any binary package
- Easily import working trees into any CVS server
- Low learning curve (use any make and text editor)
- Entirely self-contained within any base directory
- Implemented as cross-platform shell scripts/Makefiles
See the downloads section for the latest version of pkgbase.
Meet the FreeBSD Druid
The FreeBSD Druid(R) is a unified installer platform targeted at the Enterprise FreeBSD market.
The following features make the FreeBSD Druid(R) a unique FreeBSD installer:
- Built on the trusty sysinstall(8) installer used for over 15+ years by the community at-large
- Graphical boot menu provided by SYSLINUX(tm)
- Offers both scripted installation and advanced installation (traditional sysinstall(8) menu)
- Can install FreeBSD in minutes with as-little-as 6 keystrokes
- Install either 32-bit or 64-bit FreeBSD from an easy-to-use selection menu without rebooting
- Anti-foot-shooting measures (CPU architecture sanity checks, etc.)
- Automatic disk partitioning for scripted installation (if only one target-installation disk is probed)
- Option to always-invoke interactive disk partitioning for scripted installation, if desired
- Interactive rescue script for fixing non-bootable systems
- Holographic shell with bash-prompt and hundreds of utilities
- Easily run sshd from the Druid boot media
- Pre/Post install hooks for easily extending the installer
- Automatically enables Soft Updates Journaling
- Installs and configures sysutils/host-setup for first-run
- Contains "perl" distribution that installs perl-5.14.1_3 package
- Contains "local" distribution that installs rsync-3.0.9, bonnie-2.0.6_1, and sup-2.0.20060802 packages
- Easily customizable on any OS that can modify an ISO filesystem
- Much much more!
Head on over to the downloads section to get your own copy of this polished Enterprise FreeBSD Installer.
Other News (past and present)
2012-09-29: sysrc updated (new version 5.1 replaces previous version 5.0).2012-08-25: sysrc updated (new version 5.0 replaces previous version 4.1).
Revisions:2012-08-24: sysrc updated (new version 4.1 replaces previous 4.0).
Revisions:2012-08-23: sysrc updated (new version 4.0 replaces previous 3.2.2).
Revisions:2012-01-31: host-setup updated (new version 4.0.2 replaces previous 4.0.1).
- This version has been accepted into the FreeBSD ports tree under sysutils/sysrc.
- A package has been built and is available for download.
- Shorten default usage statement and add `--help'.
- Allow `-f file' or RC_CONFS to be NULL (show defaults).
- Add `-q' flag to be quiet even if SYSRC_VERBOSE is set.
- Add `-F' flag for querying which file something is in.
- Minor changes in-preparation of import to HEAD.2012-01-12: netwait package released for FreeBSD versions older than 9.0 (which lack this feature).
Minor revisions:2012-01-11: tzdialog updated (new version 1.2 replaces previous 1.1).
- Post-installation script that will automatically ensure that the mountcritremote rc.d script is set to require netwait.
- Enhanced version of netwait rc.d script -- patched to allow a value of "NO" (case-insensitive) for "netwait_ip" in rc.conf(5); allowing you to safely set netwait_ip to defaultrouter.
- Also modified to change rcorder(8) keywords to start netwait before mountcritremote.
- Sensible defaults stored in /etc/rc.conf.d/netwait (also serves as documentation for the script, considering that the currently-installed /etc/defaults/rc.conf may not mention netwait unless running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE or higher).
- This version of netwait -- if enabled by setting netwait_enable to "YES" (case-insensitive) in rc.conf(5) -- will automatically use the value of defaultrouter as the IP address to ping. This has the net-effect that one does not need to separately configure the IP address to ping during boot if a defaultrouter has already been configured. For most, this means that simply enabling netwait is all that is needed to fix the network race-condition that occurs on boot.2012-01-03: host-setup updated (new version 4.0.1 replaces previous 4.0).
- This version has been accepted into the FreeBSD ports tree under sysutils/tzdialog.
- A package has been built and is available for download.
- Synchronize with FreeBSD HEAD revision of tzsetup(8), including MFC of ...
- Properly support `\n' escape-sequence in info/msg/menu boxes when calculating appropriate dialog(1) sizes.
- Unlink /etc/localtime before creation.
- Fix bug in preserving /etc/localtime as a symbolic-link.
- Clear console in-between menus and on-exit when using dialog(1).
- Update dependency list to include ln(1).
- Bump dialog-height by-one on FreeBSD-9 for zone confirmations due to new implementation of dialog(1) (now based on cdialog).
- Always override user-provided umask.
- Update usage statement/synopsis (alphabetize -e flag).
- Minor syntax changes.
- Comments.2012-01-03: sysrc updated (new version 3.2.2 replaces previous 3.2.1).
Minor revisions:2012-01-03: host-setup updated (new version 4.0 replaces previous 3.2).2012-01-02: vimage-1.4 rc.d script released.
Major new revision:
- Added `-s' option for "secure-mode" (prompts for sudo(8) credentials). Designed to allow secure access when executed from either a window or display manager.
- Updated dependency list (see code comments near top).
- Display CVS revision (if available) in dialog(1) title.
- Fully support Xdialog(1).
- Introduce an initial delay when probing interfaces for carrier status information.
- Fix Ctrl-C when aborting dhclient(8) setup.
- Add detection of new vimage netgraph(4) bridged interfaces.
- Fix typos.
- Delete defaultrouter from rc.conf(5) when going DHCP.
- Fix netmask calculation on 9.0-CURRENT.
- Always allow network changes within a vimage jail.
- Fix bug that could wipe-out resolv.conf(5) when switching from DHCP back to static.
- Prevent hang when changing hostname via X11-Forwarded ssh(1) connection.
- Add SYNCDHCP and NOSYNCDHCP support for appropriate releases.
- Re-apply defaultrouter when switching from DHCP back to static.
- Fix Xdialog(1) sanity checks for 9.0-CURRENT.
- Add support for Xdialog(1)'s `--print-maxsize' feature.
- Add support for tzdialog(8) -- available here at druidbsd.sf.net
- Add support for executing tzsetup(8) within an xterm(1) when executing via Xdialog(1).
- Add support for the `-s' flag of tzsetup(8) added in FreeBSD 7.3, 8.0, or higher.
- Improved error reporting for tzsetup(8)/tzdialog(8).
- Whitespace and other miscellaneous corrections.2011-12-31: sysrc updated (new version 3.2.1 replaces previous 3.2).
- Deprecate inferior "vimage_*_services" variable in favor of new "vimage_*_prestart_services" and "vimage_*_afterstart_services" for both fine-grain control and to work-around a bug/limitation (see `/etc/rc.conf.d/vimage' for further details).
- The above implementation-change was necessary to get firewalls based on ipfw to "boot" correctly as a vimage.
Read more about vimage.2011-11-17: tzdialog updated (new version 1.1 replaces previous 1.0.2).
Changes include the following:
- Add -e flag, which causes the exit_status to only return success if-and-only-if both the user selects a timezone and the system has successfully installed it.
- Add support for Xdialog(1)'s `--print-maxsize' option.
2010-09-15: The DruidBSD(tm) project is registered on SourceForge.net
2010-09-13: The DruidBSD(tm) project enters public-beta