Welcome to the DruidBSD project homepage
Druid(R) is a build platform that aims to produce truly universal boot images (*.iso files) that can be downloaded once and then mastered onto any type of media, including (but not limited to) CD/DVD optical media, USB flash media, and even hard disks.
DruidBSD(tm) is a FreeBSD micro-distribution which exists as a 1.9MB floppy image (GZIP-compressed mfsroot). When paired with the Druid(R) platform, you get a universal LiveCD and/or Installer environment.
updated to support Perforce.
Previously only supporting CVS, pkgbase has been re-released
in a form that now supports Perforce. Head on over to
to get the latest copy of pkgbase.
Previously only supporting CVS, pkgbase has been re-released in a form that now supports Perforce.
Head on over to Downloads to get the latest copy of pkgbase.
UPDATE! Work-around for VirtualBox 4.x Users Found
VirtualBox 4.x users across multiple platforms are reporting either absolute success or absolute failure. For some, it seems not to matter whether using the ISO file directly (error shown below) or booting from a CD/DVD you've created from the ISO (hangs at cdboot).
The work-around to the above is to rename the ISO file, changing the suffix from .iso to instead .hdd (causing VirtualBox to instead treat the ISO file as a hard disk; something that is uniquely supported by Druid ISO files as they are post-processed with the SYSLINUX isohybrid utility). The issue of not being able to boot from the ISO9660 volume is unique to VirtualBox however VirtualBox on PC-BSD 8.2 seems unaffected. Other virtualization products such as VMware and Parallels are not affected.
FreeBSD Druid updated (new version 1.0b60).
This version represents fixes to the rescue features and other minor fixes.
Head on over to Downloads to get the latest copy of the Druid for FreeBSD 9.0.
FreeBSD_Druid based on FreeBSD-8.3.
Now there are two great flavors of the FreeBSD Druid to choose from. You've enjoyed the FreeBSD-9.0 Druid, now joining the family is the FreeBSD-8.3 Druid. Each is a native and targeted build designed to facilitate easier install and rescue of these great platforms.
Head on over to Downloads to get a copy of this latest Druid for FreeBSD 8.3.
Meet pkgbase ("Package Base") — A Multi-Platform Packaging System
pkgbase is a multi-platform packaging system for integrating package version control into any CVS server.
Currently supported packaging systems include:
- FreeBSD Packages (*.tgz or *.tbz)
- RedHat Packages (*.rpm)
- Author FreeBSD packages on RedHat Linux
- Author RedHat RPMs on FreeBSD
- Easily unpack any package from any source
- Easily make changes to any binary package
- Easily import working trees into any CVS server
- Low learning curve (use any make and text editor)
- Entirely self-contained within any base directory
- Implemented as cross-platform shell scripts/Makefiles
See the downloads section for the latest version of pkgbase.
Meet the FreeBSD Druid
The FreeBSD Druid(R) is a unified installer platform targeted at the Enterprise FreeBSD market.
The following features make the FreeBSD Druid(R) a unique FreeBSD installer:
- Built on the trusty sysinstall(8) installer used for over 15+ years by the community at-large
- Graphical boot menu provided by SYSLINUX(tm)
- Offers both scripted installation and advanced installation (traditional sysinstall(8) menu)
- Can install FreeBSD in minutes with as-little-as 6 keystrokes
- Install either 32-bit or 64-bit FreeBSD from an easy-to-use selection menu without rebooting
- Anti-foot-shooting measures (CPU architecture sanity checks, etc.)
- Automatic disk partitioning for scripted installation (if only one target-installation disk is probed)
- Option to always-invoke interactive disk partitioning for scripted installation, if desired
- Interactive rescue script for fixing non-bootable systems
- Holographic shell with bash-prompt and hundreds of utilities
- Easily run sshd from the Druid boot media
- Pre/Post install hooks for easily extending the installer
- Automatically enables Soft Updates Journaling
- Installs and configures sysutils/host-setup for first-run
- Contains "perl" distribution that installs perl-5.14.1_3 package
- Contains "local" distribution that installs rsync-3.0.9, bonnie-2.0.6_1, and sup-2.0.20060802 packages
- Easily customizable on any OS that can modify an ISO filesystem
- Much much more!
Head on over to the downloads section to get your own copy of this polished Enterprise FreeBSD Installer.
Other News (past and present)
2012-09-29: sysrc updated (new version 5.1 replaces previous version 5.0).2012-08-25: sysrc updated (new version 5.0 replaces previous version 4.1).
Revisions:2012-08-24: sysrc updated (new version 4.1 replaces previous 4.0).
Revisions:2012-08-23: sysrc updated (new version 4.0 replaces previous 3.2.2).
Revisions:2012-01-31: host-setup updated (new version 4.0.2 replaces previous 4.0.1).
- This version has been accepted into the FreeBSD ports tree under sysutils/sysrc.
- A package has been built and is available for download.
- Shorten default usage statement and add `--help'.
- Allow `-f file' or RC_CONFS to be NULL (show defaults).
- Add `-q' flag to be quiet even if SYSRC_VERBOSE is set.
- Add `-F' flag for querying which file something is in.
- Minor changes in-preparation of import to HEAD.2012-01-12: netwait package released for FreeBSD versions older than 9.0 (which lack this feature).
Minor revisions:2012-01-11: tzdialog updated (new version 1.2 replaces previous 1.1).
- Post-installation script that will automatically ensure that the mountcritremote rc.d script is set to require netwait.
- Enhanced version of netwait rc.d script -- patched to allow a value of "NO" (case-insensitive) for "netwait_ip" in rc.conf(5); allowing you to safely set netwait_ip to defaultrouter.
- Also modified to change rcorder(8) keywords to start netwait before mountcritremote.
- Sensible defaults stored in /etc/rc.conf.d/netwait (also serves as documentation for the script, considering that the currently-installed /etc/defaults/rc.conf may not mention netwait unless running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE or higher).
- This version of netwait -- if enabled by setting netwait_enable to "YES" (case-insensitive) in rc.conf(5) -- will automatically use the value of defaultrouter as the IP address to ping. This has the net-effect that one does not need to separately configure the IP address to ping during boot if a defaultrouter has already been configured. For most, this means that simply enabling netwait is all that is needed to fix the network race-condition that occurs on boot.2012-01-03: host-setup updated (new version 4.0.1 replaces previous 4.0).
- This version has been accepted into the FreeBSD ports tree under sysutils/tzdialog.
- A package has been built and is available for download.
- Synchronize with FreeBSD HEAD revision of tzsetup(8), including MFC of ...
- Properly support `\n' escape-sequence in info/msg/menu boxes when calculating appropriate dialog(1) sizes.
- Unlink /etc/localtime before creation.
- Fix bug in preserving /etc/localtime as a symbolic-link.
- Clear console in-between menus and on-exit when using dialog(1).
- Update dependency list to include ln(1).
- Bump dialog-height by-one on FreeBSD-9 for zone confirmations due to new implementation of dialog(1) (now based on cdialog).
- Always override user-provided umask.
- Update usage statement/synopsis (alphabetize -e flag).
- Minor syntax changes.
- Comments.2012-01-03: sysrc updated (new version 3.2.2 replaces previous 3.2.1).
Minor revisions:2012-01-03: host-setup updated (new version 4.0 replaces previous 3.2).2012-01-02: vimage-1.4 rc.d script released.
Major new revision:
- Added `-s' option for "secure-mode" (prompts for sudo(8) credentials). Designed to allow secure access when executed from either a window or display manager.
- Updated dependency list (see code comments near top).
- Display CVS revision (if available) in dialog(1) title.
- Fully support Xdialog(1).
- Introduce an initial delay when probing interfaces for carrier status information.
- Fix Ctrl-C when aborting dhclient(8) setup.
- Add detection of new vimage netgraph(4) bridged interfaces.
- Fix typos.
- Delete defaultrouter from rc.conf(5) when going DHCP.
- Fix netmask calculation on 9.0-CURRENT.
- Always allow network changes within a vimage jail.
- Fix bug that could wipe-out resolv.conf(5) when switching from DHCP back to static.
- Prevent hang when changing hostname via X11-Forwarded ssh(1) connection.
- Add SYNCDHCP and NOSYNCDHCP support for appropriate releases.
- Re-apply defaultrouter when switching from DHCP back to static.
- Fix Xdialog(1) sanity checks for 9.0-CURRENT.
- Add support for Xdialog(1)'s `--print-maxsize' feature.
- Add support for tzdialog(8) -- available here at druidbsd.sf.net
- Add support for executing tzsetup(8) within an xterm(1) when executing via Xdialog(1).
- Add support for the `-s' flag of tzsetup(8) added in FreeBSD 7.3, 8.0, or higher.
- Improved error reporting for tzsetup(8)/tzdialog(8).
- Whitespace and other miscellaneous corrections.2011-12-31: sysrc updated (new version 3.2.1 replaces previous 3.2).
- Deprecate inferior "vimage_*_services" variable in favor of new "vimage_*_prestart_services" and "vimage_*_afterstart_services" for both fine-grain control and to work-around a bug/limitation (see `/etc/rc.conf.d/vimage' for further details).
- The above implementation-change was necessary to get firewalls based on ipfw to "boot" correctly as a vimage.
Read more about vimage.2011-11-17: tzdialog updated (new version 1.1 replaces previous 1.0.2).
Changes include the following:
- Add -e flag, which causes the exit_status to only return success if-and-only-if both the user selects a timezone and the system has successfully installed it.
- Add support for Xdialog(1)'s `--print-maxsize' option.
2010-09-15: The DruidBSD(tm) project is registered on SourceForge.net
2010-09-13: The DruidBSD(tm) project enters public-beta